Thursday, January 7, 2010

Murder on his mind

So after leaving Citywalk, I argued with the first auto I could find. I brought the price to a reasonable 45 rs, considering that was all I actually had. So the rollercoaster journey started.
Usually, in autos I sit in the middle of the seat and observe my surroundings. This time, the driver didn't let me. He zoomed off at such a speed that I fell to one side, clutching on for dear life. My surroundings were a blurry haze of grey, green and blue. And I could see my shawl flapping in the wind. Just as I tried to hold on to the shawl, the auto-driver as if posessed by a demon swooshed and went forcefully over the speed breaker on the road. I grabbed the flailing shawl, and wrapped myself tightly as I was afraid that I might fly out with the shawl.
He zig-zagged as if he was playing Need For Speed in a video game. I almost wanted to explain politely the difference between a video game and reality. In a video game, if your car is upside down, within 5 seconds you are put back on track. In reality, if your car is crashed to one side, well get your obituary ready.
Not to mention, it was an extremely cold day. My teeth were practically chattering as the cold wind seemed to have merciless joy in hitting me hard.
Then came the climax of the journey.
There was a wall ahead of us. As if some power was possessing him, he headed straight towards the wall. I wanted to scream, but my voice seemed to be on AWOL. Mentally, I said a bye-bye to my family, Shine, Abhi and Soumya.
And then!
He took a sharp turn which made me fall to the other side. I would have fallen out if I hadn't gripped the railing in time. The auto-driver turned around and gave me a smile. His two front-teeth were missing. I was close to making sure that all his teeth would be missing by the time I was done with the journey.
I stopped a hundred metres away from my house, partly from fear that he might crash into the gates. When I got off, I got my breath and sanity back and paid him 40 Rs. I sued him 5 Rs. from practically trying to kill me.
What a journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment