Saturday, January 16, 2010

Roads, people, and strange men.

So the first day of college was a complete waste. No teacher turned up, and Anan and I were wondering what on earth we should do. Anandi had to wait till 3 for her car pool, and I could wait the entire day considering the fact I live within spitting distance.
The idea of momos popped into our hungry heads, and we thought no further. Momos-one delicious item without which life was flat. Especially, from our haunt-Cafe Brown Sugar.
We hopped off spiritedly from college. Anan whispered to me rather hastily to hail an auto, as apparently she could never hail autos. To say the least, I was confused by the statement. All you have to do is stick your hand out and an auto will zoom in front of you. So I lived up to my worthy reputation of hailing an auto...and the typical arguement of getting the price down from 30 to Rs. 25. Finally the auto driver gave up, maybe because he really needed the money, or he realized that he couldn't fight more with two young college students who were pretending to be agressive.
On that un-sunny day, we strolled through a rather empty M block market. I had never seen M block empty before, and this was as surprising as snow in Delhi. Anan had to look for warm-wear, as she going to Harvard for her MUN. So we raided each shop, and inspected all the clothes. The ones which were warm and were practically good, had a stain on them, the others...were just plain hideous. It is interesting to observe the bright colours. It's as if well the creators had no sense of colour or organization and threw them all together.
I think we walked around the market twice, or thrice. An extremely loud-voiced woman banged into us, and even we were twenty feet away from her, her voice seemed to be ringing in our ears. One woman who was wiping the floor glared at me, as I stepped on what she had just cleaned up. I'm sure she must have cursed me.
Next, we decided to go to N block market. Well, I had a vague idea of the directions. So with a hazy map in my head, we took an entire round around M block, coming back to where we started. If Anandi could, she would have nailed my head to the clothes shop.
It was intriguing. I saw roads I had never seen before, and which I had never known existed. And then! The climax of our excursions.
While we were walking, we heard some pattering footsteps behind us. And before we could look behind, a man walked in front of us and said,
"Hiie...you know where the girls beauty parlour is? I have to put lipishtick and all..."
I kept a straight face and said very confidently a bunch of nonsensical syllables...I think I said something along the lines of, "yes, Kailash colony...N block...sorry I mean Kailash colony madonna!"
Anandi on the other hand avoided looking and said "haan haan...straight, straight.."
"Mujhe apne boyfriend se milna hai...is liye..." and he rattled off into explanations. We nodded, smiled and looked as if we were having the most insightful conversation.
He then cheerily skipped off.
For the next twenty minutes, Anan and I couldn't stop laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment