Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Perverse Umbrellas!

Who would have thought an umbrella would turn upside down IN THE HEAT?
Well mine did. My parents still don't believe that it happened.
So, I had to go to N block market for an errand. As it was terribly hot and uncomfortable, I grabbed the biggest and brightest (and perhaps most embarassing) umbrella and marched off into the heat.
I was perhaps the most distinct and noticeable, and I might have been stopped traffic owing to the colours on the umbrella.
As I was walking, a strong wind blew. I was thrilled. I don't deny, I'm quite the eccentric. I love feeling as if I'm about to fly away with an umbrella. So there I was, walking and humming to myself, enjoying the I-am-going-to-fly-away-feeling, which invariably happens in every Enid Blyton story.
Well, clearly that's now how it turned out.
As I paraded through the market, the hot wind blew stronger than before. And this time it was a little too strong.  Before I knew what was happening, the umbrella turned upwards.
The people in N block had never witnessed something like this before. The few people who were wandering around morosely found a chance for entertainment.
The wind became even more merciless, and the umbrella refused to straighten out. I couldn't carry it above my head anymore, and kept it in front of me, not too differently from a machine gun.
I walked with my machine gun umbrella, getting over my mortification. A child looked rather frightened, while her mother seemed perplexed.
I didn't mind then :P I started enjoying the attention. So it turned out to be an Enid Blyton incident gone rather wonky.
It's mystifying how this umbrella turned upwards. My father says it's survived the storms of Shimla, and other battles.
I really have the destructive touch dont I :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment